Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Workings of a Team

Well, I'm sure I can speak for the rest of my team (Team Crank Brothers) when I say that I truly couldn't have done this ride without them. I've been on my bike alot this year, but not nearly enough to put an epic ride like the Gut Check behind me solo. Our team definitely had it's share of ups and downs which was one of the best experiences on a bike that I've ever had. To follow, cheer, sit in a car for 30+ hours without sleeping, talk, eat, laugh ect with people that I have actually never spent that amount of time with was truly and amazing experience. I would definitely say that the leapfrog way was the way for me this year.

It started out with Jeff leading off riding into Belle. Right away it was a physically demanding ride as the wind pushed so hard from the East. We had to encourage each other not to give up from the get-go. Blake then took over at Belle and pushed hard into the wind. As a rider that hasn't ridden yet, I could tell how physically demanding this ride was going to be. I'm pretty sure Weston was shaking as this was only his second time on a road bike. Oddly enough, his first was in high school when he rode from ND to NE.

Well, it was finally my turn. I felt like a million bucks and I could tell that I had put some miles in the saddle this year. The wind was still strong but I think it may have died down a bit. We decided that if we each rode in 1 hour increments that we would each be able to stay fresh and push along hard knowing once we were finished, we would have a 4 hour break before our next ride. Once I finished, Weston started his first leg. He went very strong out of the start and caught up with a couple of riders. He chatted with them for most of his ride. About half way through, the rain started, the wind started and of course... the beginning of the rest of the ride was finally there.

We continued on putting in our 1 hour increments until about 11pm when I finally said enough is enough. The rain was hitting my face so hard that it hurt. I told Blake that I could ride through it but then about 10 seconds later I gave in. We stopped and waited along side of the road about 34 miles from Faith. We sat for about 20 minutes hoping for the storm to blow by but it never did. We decided to drive to Faith and get some gas then return to our spot until the rain quit. I think it was probably about 2am when we finally got back to peddling. It was still my turn, but I was shaking uncontrollably from all of my clothes being soaked. Jeff said that he would go and allow me to get my clothes dry. (I never realized how well the defroster worked as a clothes dryer)

The wind was dying down and we were on a roll. We passed through Faith at about 4am and continued East. Everyone was feeling good and riding very well. I'm sure it must have been the blueberry bagels and turkey sandwiches we brought along for fuel. Once the sun came up on Saturday it seemed like the day flew by. It really seems like a blur and most of it never happened. I remember riding into Gettysburg and stopping at the Gas 'n' Goodies for some gas and... well goodies then I remember Monnie crossing the river, but I think the lack of sleep wiped out my memory for the greater part of the day.

I will fast forward a bit to the detour. What a bummer that was. We were adding up the miles we had left and knowing how many legs each of us had when it hit... Our spirits dropped a bit knowing that what we thought was going to be an early finish and getting a good nights rest turned into an all night ride in what was turning crappy all over again. We rode through it and pushed on.

Just outside of Clark a ways we went by the two guys who came in first place for the solo riders. We encouraged them on and were all pushing for them to make it. I paused in Clark at a gas station where they stopped for a small break. I asked them if they had ridden all night and through the rain. They said they did and I was in complete shock that they had that amount of "guts" to ride through everything. I congratulated them and wished them luck. Hats off to anyone who rode in this thing solo.

Well, we finally made it to Watertown and beyond. We sort of unanimously decided that we all wanted a piece of the end so we could get some closure on this ride. What started out being 2 mile legs individually turned into all 5 of us on our bicycles spreading out across the road speeding towards the finish line. It kind of felt like a relaxed sprint finish in the tour de France. It was the most amazing part of the ride with our whole team smiling and feeling absolutely no pain for the first time. We crossed the finish line at 2:41am with rain pouring down took some pictures and returned to Watertown for some well deserved rest.

Congratulations to all who rode regardless of finishing. It was a tough ride but I wouldn't change any of the ride we had.

Dan

No comments: