Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thank You Everyone

I enjoy reading of everyones journey across SD via 212. The reason I started this event was to 1) raise funds and awareness for the CCFA and
2) give people an oportunity to challenge themselves and maybe learn a little something about themselves along the way.
For myself the journey wasn't to be....again. Like Snakebite said, "Excuses are like assholes." and I know mine stinks. The weather was bad, but I really don't mind riding in the rain, it's the wind that'll piss you off. I know to finish this thing solo I'm going to have to up my dedication to training. It was exciting this year with so many participants, especially when the calls started coming in as to riders whereabouts. It was always a little sad to get the "I'm dropping calls" because I know the disappointment and soul searching that comes with making that decision. I felt great coming into Newell although I knew I was one of the weak links in our group of about 7 riders (the same group that Kevin Brady was a soul survivor of). Just past Newell as the rollers and head wind intensified I got dropped, caught up again (because the group slowed down). When I rejoined I felt bad because I didn't have anything to contribute to pulling the group along. Both of my quads felt like they had been ripped in two. I took a turn at the front where I was pushing it as hard as I could but could only muster about 10mph out of my rigamortis like legs. I looked back to see the rest of the group chatting, and looking EXTREMELY relaxed, so I decided to not to suck on their wheels anymore and quietly dropped off the back to wallow in my own self pity. I stopped and refueled, something I had neglected while concentrating in the group, joined up with another rider and with new life in my legs headed for Mud Butte with the intention of making Faith. The rains began and I stupidly quoted Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump, calling out the Big Guy and asking if this was all he had. A few minutes later the stingy, drenching rain began, and my riding partner, Jay, looked at me and said, "Nice going." We made it to Mud Butte and saw the parking lot of participants and loaded up to spend the night in Faith. Enroute Jay and myself decided that a solo bid was not going to happen and decided to form the "Mud Butte Leap Frog Team" AKA the Mud Butte Merger. We leap froged to about mile marker 300 before calling it quits with no hope of making the border in time. I enjoyed leapfrogging and have come to the conclusion that until I increase my dedication level I am going to be a leapfrogger. I'm a little disappointed in my performance, but that is overshadowed by how good I feel about the success of this event. I hope to see you all next year. Spread the word about this event and challenge others to challenge themselves.

Thank you everyone,

Josh

No comments: